What do you do if, after a heavy dinner, you suddenly have a tingling sensation in your chest? Is it a heart attack? What if you have an additional burning condition with an unpleasant taste in your mouth? Well, it might not be a heart attack; rather, it would simply be acid reflux. Now, for the uninitiated – baking soda for heartburn (or you can call it acid reflux) is one of the best homemade remedies. Even if you are going to have some medicines – then sodium bicarbonate (the scientific name for this) is one of the primary ingredients.
Why baking soda? How will it help in dealing with the acid reflux and a host of other questions that you may have regarding this simple kitchen ingredient and the purposes that it serves? Scroll down and find out for yourself the answers to these queries!
How do you know that it is heartburn?
It is noted quite often that after a heavy meal, one may have a sudden burning sensation somewhere between the throat and the abdomen. What happens is – the human stomach produces acid, which helps to digest the food products. When that acid, instead of working for the purpose for which it has been created, rather comes back to the esophagus – there is a burning sensation in the throat, and it somehow leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
The symptoms of this medical condition are – pain in the chest area, nausea, breathing issues, extremely sensitive teeth, and consistent cough. Given that it is one of the most noted antacids that are present, this is available in a number of over-the-counter drugs. It is nothing surprising since – almost 60 million Americans (as collected from multiple surveys) face the condition of heartburn once a month. Clearly, a massive number!
Using baking soda for heartburn
To understand how this helps in controlling heartburn, one needs to first understand its ingredients. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate – has both sodium and bicarbonate ions, which, when combined, are used as a neutralizer. It is an alkaline powder that helps to reduce the levels of acid in the stomach.
You must have heard of Alka-Seltzer? Well, that is one antacid that is an over-the-counter format of sodium bicarbonate. This is also found in the form of capsules, granules, and solutions – and its primary function remains the same. However, if you are suffering from chronic heartburn, then this is not the treatment for you.
Now the question arises – as to how to use baking soda for heartburn. Scroll down you will find the answer yourself!
How to use baking soda to treat acid reflux?
Speaking simply – a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with cold water is the ideal way to resolve this problem. Do drink it slowly to avoid any additional side effects.
However, one must not consume too much of it since that will only further the chances of an acid rebound.
To answer the query as to how to consume baking soda for heartburn – note that –
- For those consuming the powder form – Avoid giving it to children below 12 years. Also, listen to your doctor before administering any dosage.
For those above 12 years of age – one and a half teaspoons in a glass of water in a gap of two hours.
For more blogs: Twiggit
Caution to exercise
Now that you know already that sodium bicarbonate or baking soda is the product that will help you in dealing with acid reflux, it is important that you maintain some caution. Here is a list of things to remember when it comes to using baking soda for heartburn.
- Following the baking soda therapy for two weeks is the maximum time that you must do. If it goes over two weeks, you must consult a medical practitioner.
- Do not take any medication till two hours after your intake of baking soda. Since its main job is to lower the level of acids in the stomach, hence, chances are there that some medicines may not be digested the way they should have been if baking soda reactions are still in the body.
- Just in case you are on a strict low sodium diet – then this form of sodium bicarbonate will only enhance your problems. So, refrain from taking baking soda in such cases.
- When talking of per day dosage – keep it restricted to a maximum of three and a half teaspoons (you need to have it at an interval of two hours). For kids under 12 years of age, the maximum limit is 520mg. However, you will still have to consult your doctor regarding the kids.
- In case you have any appendix-related issue or any other stomach-related problem has been diagnosed – then do not use this product. Also, make sure that your intake of milk or any related milk products with this baking soda powder is very limited. If possible, avoid dairy for a few days.
- In case there is a pregnant woman – do consult the doctor before you give her any baking soda combination.
- Now, here is a little tricky issue – there are people suffering from GERD condition (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) who are already under medication, must not resort to this mode of treatment.
- While you are on this therapy, there are certain symptoms that you may incur. So, if you are having gastric issues, nausea, or any kind of untoward stomach pain, there is not much to worry about since it is just a side effect of baking soda therapy mode.
#Just note that excessive consumption of baking soda can lead to other problems such as a – deficiency in the levels of chloride or potassium in the blood, sudden rise in sodium levels, and problematic kidney issues.
#Also note – for those using baking soda for heartburn, you must check if you have any related allergies to baking soda, you are breastfeeding, or if you are under specific drugs like benzphetamine and pazopanib, to mention a few.
Hopefully, this comprehensive article could entertain your thoughts and answer the query that you had regarding – the usage of baking soda for heartburn. Next time, in case you have any such problem, do make it a point to recall these points. For your benefit, you can also pin this page. Happy to help!!